Dorothy Bauman, CD(DONA)
Hi! I'm Dorothy.
I live in Shreve, Ohio of Wayne County along with my busy family of eight sisters (two married), one brother, and my wonderful parents. Then along came five beautiful nieces, one cherished nephew, one nephew and twin nieces in heaven. I grew up watching my mother breastfeed her babies, helping to babysit and change diapers. Five of us were born in-hospital, and the other five were born at home.
My interest in birth started as an 11-year-old girl when I observed my first goat birth of triplets. I LOVED it! I thought, "I could do this every day"!!
Well, now that I've been raising dairy goats for over twelve years, my focus has shifted a bit. Eternal souls mean so much more... Since 2018 I have dedicated my focus to serving women during pregnancy and childbirth.
"If a doula were a drug, it would be unethical not to use it."
Dr. John Kennell, 1998
As a DONA Certified Birth Doula, I was trained through DONA International, home study, and apprenticeship. Prior to my training as a Doula, I began in home-birth midwifery the year of 2018, and have continued my training throughout my practice as a Doula, attending mostly in-home births as a student Midwife. I primarily work as a Midwife, but also offer Doula support to parents choosing to birth in the hospital or birth center setting, as I believe that all parents should be educated and informed of the process, and have the option to choose and be supported in their decisions, being given the option and ability to refuse unnecessary procedures otherwise routinely done to themselves or their baby.
I have attended in-hospital alongside doctors, have worked in various birthing centers here, as well as out of country, and do home births on a regular basis as a beginning Midwife, currently working towards certification as a Certified Professional Midwife.
I am currently certified in NRP (Neonatal Resuscitation Program) - Health Stream, and BLS (Basic Life Support, which includes CPR & AED) - American Heart Association.
Having received training in the basics of breastfeeding, I am willing and able to aide mothers in breastfeeding their babies, and to give referrals as needed.
My clients are first priority regardless of my busy schedule, so please don't be afraid to contact me! I endeavor to always be available to anyone needing a Doula!
To provide caring support to women during pregnancy and childbirth, improving their experience of labor and birth, building confidence and satisfaction with their birthing experience, and encouraging parent-child bonding that can last for a lifetime.
- I believe that the health and safety, physically, mentally, emotionally & spiritually of mother and baby are of utmost importance.
- I believe that birth is a natural, normal, and inherently safe process, designed perfectly by an infinite & marvelous God, and should therefore be respected as such, not treated as a dangerous medical condition in normal cases.
- I believe in faith, and believe that it directly effects childbirth... that a woman is saved in childbearing through faith, in believing and obedience God and His Word. (ITim. 2:15)
- I believe that medical intervention at times can cause more complications that would otherwise be avoided if left natural, and thus should be wisely decided upon when deemed necessary for a safe & healthy outcome of mother and/or baby.
- I believe every woman has the liberty to choose her birth preferences, and that every parent is in charge of their birth; therefore, should be educated and encouraged to make their own decisions around pregnancy, childbirth & parenting.
- I believe every woman has the right to make informed choices throughout her pregnancy, labor and birth, knowing the benefits, the trade-offs, and the alternatives of every choice made.
- I believe that women are healthier and more satisfied when they can birth naturally without the interference of medication or medical intervention, and that the baby's transition into the world is smoother, and the adjustments are easier for both mother & baby.
No way of laboring is right or wrong; every woman is made uniquely: every decision and every experience of every woman should be respected with gentleness and compassion, and supported by all.
Every woman deserves caring support in childbirth.
Jesus said, "Come unto Me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take My yoke upon you, and learn of Me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. For My yoke is easy, and My burden is light."
"Notwithstanding she shall be saved in childbearing, if they continue in faith and charity and holiness with sobriety."
I Timothy 2:15